Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Longing For The Summer Days Of Blow-Up Pools And Kick-The-Can


January 24, 2009



Since when did summer become so complicated for kids? Last year, I sent my five-year-old son to a small camp where they have energetic counselors, lots of sports, art, creative activities, swimming, water play and sometimes even a rock climbing wall. There are specially themed days, optional field trips, talent shows and a requisite popsicle at the end of the sun and fun-filled day. It wasn't very expensive. It was safe. And my son arrived home completely tired out. What more could a mom ask for?

Apparently, a lot more. When it came time to start thinking about camp for this upcoming summer (yes, it's actually time), most of my friends were not even considering this same camp that we all attended last summer. It was "too babyish." The kids were so "bored." "What a waste of a summer." And my personal favorite, "Come on, he's almost six. It's time to move on to bigger and better." Bigger and better? What did that mean?

As I collected brochures (and fancy DVDs) from all of the camps my friends were interested in, I found out what bigger and better means. It means buses to and from camp. It means water-slides and horses and miniature golf courses--all things that are nice but surely not important to my little boy who would be happy with a few friends, a sprinkler and a light saber or two (okay and maybe a popsicle). Oh, and it means double the price. So I tried to rally the kindergarten masses back to our much less expensive but perfectly fine camp from last summer. I really tried. And I really failed. Not a one would budge. In fact, some of the parents actually started to find reasons why the bigger and better camp-of-choice was, perhaps, not bigger and better enough. Some complained that there weren't go-carts. Others shared concerns that the rock wall was only for kids eight and up. And then there was the mom (a usually down-to-earth, relatable kind of gal) who wanted to know if "that was duck-duck-goose" she saw being played on the DVD because "there was no way she was sending her six-year-old son to a place that had kids doing such babyish things."

My husband and I looked at each other a few nights ago and decided this madness must stop. I am certain my son doesn't care where he goes. It's all in how I sell it. The only thing he will want to know is where his best friend is going. We decided that was a legitimate concern considering all of his close friends were attending the same camp. So after much ado about absolutely nothing that should be this important, we decided to send our son with his crowd for one session to a "bigger and better" camp and fill in the rest of the summer with a much less expensive but, no doubt, equally enjoyable science camp.

I can't believe how ridiculous this whole experience has been. I am beginning to see what I am going to be up against--and who--the parents pushing for their kids to grow up too fast and all the kids I'll have to hear about who get to do so much. For now, I'll just be glad that my son isn't bored being entertained all day, doesn't find "duck, duck, goose" babyish and would be scared to death to climb a rock wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment