Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Luke, I So Don't Care That He's Your Father But My Son Sure Does


April 22, 2009



I grew up with an older sister. We weren't girly girls but we definitely weren't tomboys either. We loved doing handstands in the pool, making up dances on the front lawn, pinning up pictures of C. Thomas Howell and watching Grease over and over again. But I also loved Laker games with my dad, playing fire trucks with my neighbor and watching Rudy over and over again. So, when I had my firstborn, a boy, I felt completely ready and comfortable for the boy stuff that was to come. I sailed through the guitar phase, the airplane craze and even Buzz Lightyear infatuation with flying colors. But then a year ago, my son took me to that galaxy in a land far, far away and as much as I try (and I really do), I simply don't get the obsession with Star Wars (that includes Clone Wars the TV show, Clone Wars the movie and all the film episodes which I know a true fan would list individually and not under one umbrella but, well, I am not a true fan).

As a writer, I, of course, get the appeal of the saga. It's clear-cut storytelling. Good guys. Bad guys. Heroes. Villians. There's father-son turmoil (to the nth degree), truly forbidden love and a total escape from real life. But what is it about this pretend universe that it becomes the center of the universe for so many boys? Sometimes I think it must be in the DNA because as much as I try to care about this universe even half as much as my son, I fail miserably. It's boring. There's so much shooting and noise. I'm a girl. I'd rather watch Zac Efron dancing with his basketball any day of the week. I can't help it.

But I really have tried. I remembered hearing about this great mom of one of my friends who used to read every novel assigned to her children in English class so they could discuss it at the dinner table. Keeping that in mind, I decided I better study up on all things Skywalker which is harder than you think because as I like to tell my husband, "I don't speak geek." He, by the way, is fluent. I read the books nightly with my son. I play the board games (oh, yes, there are board games) and I sit and watch the movies hoping for something to click. It's kind of like that song from Chorus Line where the girl sings, "But I felt nothing. Simply nothing." That's me. Nada.

And it's worse when there's a crowd. My son and his two best pals have viewing parties. They boo and cheer at certain scenes and even mimic lines. Fortunately, I enjoy these viewing parties but only because I view the boys the entire time. They are a sight to be seen, especially every time Padme (Natalie Portman) comes on screen. For me, it's a high point. For them, it's time to take a potty break or instruct one another to, "Cover your eyes because the girl is on." I've given up on trying to engage my son or his friends in conversation during these parties. They are literally transplanted to another place. So, instead, I simply make my presence known and continue supplying the chow.

As a mostly stay-at-home mom, I am always wanting to get my kids involved in creative activities. I offer up art projects, obstacle courses or cooking together. But, as of late, my son only wants to light saber fight. Again, I try. I have no shame. I wear the Darth Maul mask. I bust out some fancy moves. I fake my way through Star Warsish dialogue but honestly, how long can it go on? It's boring. I am not built for light sabering.

I'm sure this is just one of the many phases my son will go through that I simply won't understand. I do understand, however, that all the Star Wars lingo and stories give my son a go-to topic of conversation with his friends. Without all of the "...remember when Anakin fell in the hot lava..." chit chat, I'm not sure these boys would have much to say to one another. Star Wars gives them a connection.

Me? I'm totally disconnected. The good news? I have a daughter who is almost ready to watch High School Musical!

No comments:

Post a Comment